What’s New in 1.4

Brewtist 1.4 is now available on the App Store. It’s been a few months since the last release. I’ve been busy with lots of little things in the app, in between holidays and year-end stuff.

One thing that’s been bugging me for a while is the all-or-nothing nature of how unit systems are handled. Since I live in the U.S., pounds and gallons are my reality, but I measure my yeast starters in liters. The app now supports seven different measurement contexts and you can pick whatever unit makes sense for you.

I also learned that while mass measures in the U.K. match those in the U.S., that isn’t true for volumes. A British imperial gallon is nearly a liter more liquid than a U.S. gallon. So, the British units are now available in the app.

Version 1.2 added recipe import from BeerXML and BeerSmith .bsmx formats. 1.4 adds the reverse: you can now export your recipes to BeerXML format and share them from the standard iOS share sheet.

Last on the feature front, the app now supports iOS 14’s App Clips. These are “mini-apps” that can be triggered by web pages and QR codes and show a slice of what the full app can do. For Brewtist, you’ll start to see recipes posted here trigger the App Clip, and can import the recipe to the app with one tap. You can see it in action by checking out Cloning Maduro Brown on your iPhone or iPad.

I also squashed a few bugs:

  • On iPad, the navigation bar would disappear when bringing it back from the background.
  • Fixes issues importing BeerXML files.
  • Fixes issues sorting and numbering batches of a recipe that were brewed on the same day.

Happy brewing! 🍻